Can you use hemp oil for cooking? Hemp oil is popping up all over the place ever since hemp became legal to produce in the United States.
Although it’s not as prevalent as CBD or cannabutter, many people are using it to fry their favorite foods and use it to replace oils in their favorite recipes. It can be used for cooking, baking, or as a salad dressing as well.
Hemp oil has been a frenzy for the past few years, but it’s not the cannabis plant that you are thinking about. Although the hemp plant is a species of Cannabis sativa, it contains only trace amounts of Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is known to produce mind-altering effects when consumed. Cannabidiol (CBD), also found in hemp, is extracted from the leaves of the plant, and has been touted as an effective alternative to conventional medicines.
Hemp products naturally contain CBD; however, selling (and consuming) them is illegal in many states because they contain less than 0.3 percent THC by weight.
So, is hemp oil good for cooking? You may have come across articles that talk about hemp oil benefits, and in this post, I will share how to use hemp oil in food, and a few recipes that you can try at home.
First, Choose the Best Hemp Oil for Cooking
Hemp oil is a great alternative to other cooking oils. It has a mild flavor and high smoke point, which means it can withstand high temperatures without smoking or burning. This makes it perfect for sautéing, frying and more.
But with so many options available on the market today, how do you choose the best hemp oil for cooking? Here are a few things to keep in mind as you select your next bottle of hemp oil:
- The type of hemp you use. There are two main types of hemp out there: industrial hemp and medical hemp. Industrial hemp has been bred to contain less than 0.3% THC, whereas medical hemp can contain up to 0.3% THC. If you want to avoid any psychoactive effects from consuming your cooking oil, stick with industrial hemp products.
- The extraction process. You’ll want to look at how the oil was extracted from the plant matter before making your purchase decision. Some extraction methods use solvents like hexane or CO2, which I wouldn’t recommend, while others use water or heat only.
- Look at the label. You should see something like “organic” or “non-GMO” listed on there. These terms mean that this product was made in a way that doesn’t harm the environment or people who work in the industry. It also means that it was made without genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- Consider the price. Hemp oil can be expensive, but it’s not always necessary to buy the most expensive brand of hemp oil available—just make sure that you’re getting something that is good quality for your price range.
- Check out reviews. Another great way to figure out which brand of hemp oil is best is by checking out reviews from other users. You can do this by searching online or asking friends who have used different brands before.
One of the highly recommended products out there is Aura, which provides not only value for money, but aids your body in recovery, helps reduce inflammation, and maintains a good balance of your nervous system.
Is Hemp Oil Good for Cooking?
Yes, hemp oil is a great alternative to olive oil and other cooking oils. It has a neutral flavor and it’s rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are good for your heart.
You can use hemp oil for most of the same things you’d use other oils for, such as sautéing veggies or frying up some chicken. You can also use it as an oil-based salad dressing or dip.
Some find taking hemp seed oil pills more convenient, but if you’re thinking about incorporating hemp oil in your daily meals, here are some of the reasons hemp oil is good for cooking:
- It’s high in healthy fats, like omega-3s and omega-6s
- It has a neutral flavor that won’t make your food taste weird
- It has a high smoke point, which means it can be heated to a high temperature without burning. This makes it ideal for sautéing and stir-frying. It’s also non-GMO, which means you can use it in any way you would use other oils—like for making salad dressings or adding to popcorn.
- Hemp oil has a long shelf life, so it won’t go bad before you’re able to use it. And the flavor of hemp oil is mild enough that you can use it in recipes where another oil might overpower the flavor of the meal.
How To Use Hemp Oil in Food: 10 Interesting and Delicious Ideas
“What is hemp oil used for in cooking? Can I use hemp oil for cooking?”
Here are 10 great ideas on how you can incorporate hemp oil in your recipes.
Add Hemp Oil to Salad Dressings
Hemp oil is a great way to add more omega-3 fatty acids to your diet. It’s a delicious, nutty tasting oil that can be used in many different ways. But how do you add it to your salad dressing?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup hemp seed oil
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place all ingredients in a jar or container with a lid. Shake vigorously until well combined. Pour over your favorite salad greens and enjoy.
Add Hemp Oil to Your Sauces
The easiest way to add hemp oil to your sauces is to mix it with a small amount of water, then stir it into the sauce. You can also add the water to a blender or food processor, then add hemp oil and blend until smooth.
Hemp oil is a great addition to any sauce because it adds a rich flavor and creamy texture that can’t be replicated by other ingredients (like butter or olive oil). It has been shown to improve digestion and reduce inflammation, making it a great choice for those who are looking for more plant-based options.
Enhance Dips With Hemp Oil
Dips are one of the easiest ways to add flavor to your food, but sometimes they can be a little bland. That’s where hemp oil comes in. Hemp oil is the perfect way to enhance any dip because it’s light and nutty—and has a subtle hint of spice.
You can add it to anything from hummus or guacamole to salsa or even sour cream. It’s also a great way to boost the nutritional content of your dip without changing its flavor profile. Simply add a tablespoon of hemp oil to your favorite dip, and mix well until fully incorporated.
Create Flavorful Sandwich Spreads With Hemp Oil
Here’s a great recipe for a sandwich spread using hemp oil:
- 1/2 cup hemp oil
- 2 tbsps chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsps chopped oregano (or 1 tbsp, if dried)
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme (or 1 tsp, if dried)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine the hemp oil and rosemary, oregano, thyme and pepper. Whisk until well combined. Use immediately or store in an airtight container for up to one week in the refrigerator.
Blend Your Pesto Sauce Yet With Some Hemp Oil
Pesto is a classic sauce that’s great for adding flavor and a little pizzazz to any meal. Adding hemp oil to your pesto can make it even tastier. The oil has a nice, nutty flavor that goes well with the basil and pine nuts used in traditional pesto recipes.
Here’s how to do it:
1. Blend together equal parts basil leaves, pine nuts, and hemp oil in a food processor until smooth.
2. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
3. Serve over pasta or any other dish of your choosing.
Add That Flavor Accent to Soups With Hemp Oil
One of the great things about soups is that they’re a blank slate—you can add any flavor you want to them. And when it comes to hemp oil, there’s no better vehicle for getting that added flavor into your soup than this oil.
Hemp oil has a very mild flavor, so it won’t overpower whatever herbs or spices you’re using in your soup.
It also has a high smoke point and is generally considered safe for cooking at high temperatures, so if you like to sautée your veggies or make some quick breads before adding them to your soup, hemp oil is a great option.
Just drizzle some hemp oil into the broth while it’s still simmering on the stovetop. Then season with salt and pepper as desired (or whatever else you’re using).
Add Hemp Oil to Your Smoothies
Hemp oil is a great addition to your daily smoothie. You’ll need a blender that can hold at least 2 cups of liquid. The more powerful the motor, the better—you’ll want to be able to mix everything well without having to go through too many cycles.
For the ingredients, you’ll need:
- 1 cup of hemp seed oil
- 1 ripe banana
- 3 cups of frozen strawberries (or other berries)
- 1/2 cup of almond milk (or other non-dairy liquid)
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract for flavor
Blend well until everything is thoroughly combined. For a thicker consistency, you can add more hemp oil or use less liquid or milk than usual.
Stir Fry Your Favorite Veggies With Rice Using Hemp Oil
Hemp oil is one of the best ways to cook your favorite veggies and rice. If you’re looking for a way to add more flavor to your veggies and get more antioxidants in your diet, then this recipe is for you.
- 1/2 cup hemp oil
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 package of frozen stir fry vegetables (carrots, snow peas and water chestnuts)
Cook the rice in a large skillet on medium heat. When the rice is done, add the hemp oil and mix well. Add carrots, broccoli and stir fry vegetables to skillet and cook until tender-crisp.
Take Your Protein Shakes to Another Level With Hemp Oil
If you’re looking for a way to make your protein shakes even better, hemp oil is the perfect addition.
Hemp oil is rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, as well as antioxidants, which can help improve your heart health and reduce your risk of cancer. It also contains vitamins A, B1 (thiamine) B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6 and E. Just add a tablespoon of hemp oil to your protein shake as you blend it.
Make Hummus Using Hemp Oil
Making hummus is easy and fast, and it’s a great way to eat more plant-based foods in your diet. If you’re looking for ways to incorporate hemp oil into your diet, try making your own hummus. It’s healthy and delicious, especially with this simple recipe
- 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 cup hemp oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a food processor or blender, blend together the garbanzo beans and hemp oil until smooth and creamy. Add the lemon juice if desired. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
“So can I cook with hemp oil?” Now you’ve seen that you definitely can. Try the recipes listed above, and leave a reply below and tell me how it went for you.
How To Store Hemp Oil
Here are some tips on how you can properly store hemp oil:
- Store in a cool, dark place. Heat and light will degrade the quality of your hemp oil, so make sure that it’s stored away from bright light and heat
- Keep an eye on the expiration date. Hemp oil has a fairly short shelf life—so if you notice any changes in color or smell, toss it out.
- Don’t let it sit in direct sunlight for long periods of time. Don’t leave your hemp oil sitting out on the countertop unprotected from direct sunlight for longer than a few hours at a time, or its antioxidant properties will be compromised and it won’t work as well.
- Be careful about not overstoring it. If you have more than one bottle of hemp oil in your pantry, make sure the bottles don’t touch each other or anything else—otherwise they’ll become contaminated by mold or bacteria and won’t be able to do their job as effectively anymore.
FAQs About Using Hemp Oil in Food and Cooking
Can You Use Hemp Oil as Cooking Oil?
Yes. Hemp oil is a great alternative to other oils when you want a more neutral flavor. It has a light nutty taste that can be used in any recipe. It’s also a healthy choice for cooking because it is high in polyunsaturated fats, which are good for your heart.
What Happens if You Cook With Hemp Oil?
Hemp oil has a mild flavor that goes well with almost anything. It’s also high in beneficial nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for your body and brain health.
When you’re cooking up some chicken breasts or salmon steaks, throw in a tablespoon or two of hemp oil.
When heated, hemp oil produces a nutty aroma that pairs well with other foods—so if you’re making stir-fry or curries, or even scrambled eggs or pancakes, just add some hemp oil! You can also use it as an ingredient in salad dressings or dips.
How Do You Take Hemp Seed Oil Orally?
You can take it straight – about two tablespoons is a recommended quantity. You can also mix it into your drinks, shakes, or food.
How Much Hemp Seed Should I Eat Daily?
Hemp seed is a great source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids. The recommended amount of hemp seed to consume daily is 2 tablespoons, which equates to about 2 grams of omega-3 fatty acids.
Is Hemp Oil Better Than Olive Oil?
It depends. Hemp oil is great for cooking, but it doesn’t work as well as olive oil in recipes that require high heat.
Olive oil has a higher smoke point than hemp oil, so you can cook with it at higher temperatures without worrying about burning it.
Hemp oil, on the other hand, starts to break down at around 400 degrees Fahrenheit (which means you should never use hemp oil to fry food).
If you’re looking to sauté your veggies or make a stir-fry, hemp seed oil will work just fine. But if you want to make an omelette or anything else that requires heating an ingredient up over 400 degrees, olive oil will be better.
Is Hemp Oil Good for Frying?
Yes. The only thing to keep in mind when using hemp oil as cooking oil is that it’s not stable at high temperatures. If you’re sautéing or pan-frying with hemp oil, make sure you don’t overheat the food.
You can see from the above that cooking with hemp oil is a simple way of adding this whole food to your diet. And there are also numerous ways of incorporating hemp into your favorite recipes in inventive new ways.
The recipe possibilities are endless. One day you might have hemp oil as a delightfully fruity spread or dip. The next day, you could use it as an ingredient in muffins, tortillas or other baked goods.
If you’re adventurous, you could even try making yourself some hemp oil chocolates. Just get creative and enjoy one of the many health benefits of hemp oil.
Join our free Facebook group for more health and wellness ideas, as well as join our community discussions on how we can all achieve longevity and being Superhumn the best natural way possible. See you there!