Probiotics are helpful bacteria that can help your digestive system. They are found naturally in some foods, such as yogurt and are now available in supplement form as well. Increasing the intake of probiotics can help ease lactose intolerance symptoms.
There are many probiotics for lactose intolerance on the market today. Despite their wide availability, not all of them are effective. In order to choose the best probiotic for lactose intolerance, you should know what to look for in a probiotic supplement.
Start with this top 11 list below which features some of the best probiotics currently available and work your way down to the product that’s right for you and your budget!
Can You Take Probiotics if You Are Lactose Intolerant?
Does probiotics help with lactose intolerance?
Probiotics are often recommended to people who have lactose intolerance.
The reason for this is simple: probiotics can help you digest lactose, which is the sugar in milk that causes many people to experience digestive distress when they consume it.
When you’re lactose intolerant, your body lacks a certain enzyme called lactase, which is needed to break down the lactose found in dairy products. Without it, your body cannot break down the sugars and proteins in dairy products—which results in symptoms like gas, bloating, diarrhea and abdominal pain.
In order to digest these sugars and proteins effectively, you need healthy bacteria in your gut—which is where probiotics come in!
Best Bacterial Strains for Lactose Intolerance
Probiotics are great for helping your body to digest lactose, but there are some strains that work better than others. Here are the best probiotic strains for lactose intolerance.
- Lactobacillus casei Shirota
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG
- Bifidobacterium lactis Bi-07
- Bacillus coagulans
- Lactobacillus acidophilus La-14
The last two on the list, are two main types of probiotics: Bacillus coagulans and Lactobacillus acidophilus. Bacillus coagulans is a spore-forming bacteria that helps to digest lactose, while Lactobacillus acidophilus is a probiotic strain that helps to enhance the immune system and improve digestion.
The best probiotic for lactose intolerance ideally should contain both Bacillus coagulans and Lactobacillus acidophilus, in addition to other beneficial bacteria strains.
Is Lactobacillus acidophilus dairy free?
Most probiotics are made from a strain of bacteria called Lactobacillus acidophilus. This bacteria naturally lives in your intestines and helps with digestion. It also produces lactic acid, which can help prevent diarrhea or constipation by balancing the pH levels of your gut.
Lactobacillus acidophilus is the only strain of bacteria that has been shown to be effective at treating lactose intolerance. However, there are many different strains of Lactobacillus acidophilus, so not all probiotics will work for everyone.
In fact, some people report that certain strains actually worsen their symptoms. To find out if any given strain will work for you, try the product out first, and consult your medical professional.
Probiotics for Lactose Intolerance: Our Top Picks
MILK TEST HIGH SCORE: MegaFood MegaFlora Probiotic
- Promotes Digestive Health: This product enhances intestinal and immunological health. Live bacteria from 14 probiotic strains aid in the restoration and maintenance of good microflora.
- You only need to take 1 capsule with food, at any time of day.
- Verified by the Non-GMO Project
- Gluten, dairy, and soy-free; Kosher and B Corporation-certified
- This product passed the probiotic milk test, by placing two pills in a glass of milk overnight. If the milk turned into a yogurt-like substance, this proves that the probiotic is 100% working.
- Do not take if you are under any kind of antibiotic medication as these could pose side effects.
- You need to send a note to the packager or wherever you will be purchasing the product to add extra insulation during the hotter months, and if you live in farther areas, as the bacteria might expire due to heat.
BEST ORGANIC: Ora Organic Prebiotic and Probiotic Powder Supplement
- 20 Billion CFU Per Serving, with six (6) Probiotic Strains
- This contains prebiotics, with organic Jerusalem artichoke and organic tapioca prebiotic fiber.
- The strains have been shown to alleviate typical digestive symptoms such as poor absorption of nutrients, stomach pain, gas, and bloating.
- Product is 100% vegan, created with organic ingredients
- Gluten, dairy, GMOs, and soy-free
- Available in different flavors: raspberry, apple, and lemonade
- The taste of the product is very mild, if you mix it into any food product or beverage, you wouldn’t notice any difference.
- Be careful and follow the instructions for storing the powder at the recommended temperatures, otherwise you will get a clumpy consistency.
- Mix really well before consumption, as the powder takes time to dissolve in beverages.
OVERALL CHAMP: Optima Healthy Gut Solution
- This breakthrough gut health formula combines all of the gut cleaning heavy hitters into an one potent supplement designed to get your body performing the way it should.
- Taking this supplement results in less fatigue, higher energy, tougher stamina, and better mood.
- A healthier digestive system also aids in waste elimination and weight loss.
- Optima has lactase, which is an enzyme that helps catalyze lactose.
- These probiotics are a great way to improve digestive health, but they can also help with lactose intolerance.
- Probiotics can improve the absorption of nutrients, which can be helpful if you’re trying to get more calories from your diet.
- They reduce inflammation in your stomach and intestines, which helps with digestion and improves overall health.
- Probiotics heal leaky gut syndrome by repairing the damage done by undigested food particles that pass through the intestinal wall and enter your bloodstream.
- There are no recorded side effects nor observed complications so far with this product.
STOMACH ACID RESILIENT: Digestive Advantage Lactose Defense
- These capsules contain a unique combination of probiotics and lactase enzymes. A once-daily serving can aid in the breakdown of lactose and the relief of moderate abdominal discomfort, all while promoting digestive health.
- GMO-free, dairy-free, and vegetarian.
- Products are guaranteed for freshness, purity, and potency, as stated on the label.
- BC30 has a natural protein coating, which protects it from stomach acid about a hundred times better. This allows for more healthy bacteria to reach your stomach and do their job in improving digestion and strengthening the immune system
- The BC30 probiotic can interact with intestinal cells to enhance your body’s general digestive and immunological health.
- Not suitable for those on a gluten-free diet, as the product contains wheat.
MOST NEUTRAL IN TASTE: Nutrition Essentials Probiotics Digestive Health
- The vegan formula of this product contains 900 billion CFU per bottle and is based on Bacillus Coagulans, a powerful strain!
- Most probiotics contain Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, which are good choices until they reach the stomach, where they have a 5-15% survival rate. Bacillus coagulans remain dormant and impervious to stomach acids. It keeps all of its potential until it reaches the intestines.
- This product a FrostProtect container, which protects the product from oxygen, light, and heat, extending its efficacy by up to 62%.
- GMP-certified, dairy and gluten free, GMO free, and vegan-friendly.
- This product has no after-taste and does not cause stomach upsets.
- In case you are diabetic, this product might cause a spike in your blood sugar. Consult with a medical professional before taking this.
HIGH IN CFU: Renew Life Adult Probiotic
- These probiotics have developed by an expert team of neuroscientists, microbiologists, chemists, and researchers.
- The 80 Billion CFU Probiotic supplement for men and women has more clinically tested strains
- With 80 billion live cultures from 12 different strains in a smaller capsule, it relieves occasional constipation and improves digestive and immunological health.
- A combination of 12 different strains, including the most studied strain, is used in this daily colon health probiotic with immune support.
- Non-GMO, verified gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
- The formulation of this probiotic is very friendly to those who have been dealing with Celiac’s disease.
- Be extra careful when switching from another brand, especially when your body is not used to a higher CFU content. This product contains 80 billion CFU, so it’s best to check with your doctor if you’ve been used to a lower count, such as 30 billion CFU.
BEST AND SAFE FOR BABIES AND KIDS: Bio-Kult Advanced Probiotics
- Bio-Kult contains 14 probiotic strains to supplement the normal gut flora found in a healthy person’s digestive tract.
- Microorganisms found in the intestine, known collectively as the gut microbiota, are critical to our health.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Bacillus subtilis, and 11 other strains are included.
- It is safe to consume with antibiotics, by babies, toddlers, and children, while pregnant, when traveling, by vegetarians, and as part of a healthy diet.
- This is GMO free.
- This product is manufactured in easy-to-split capsules, so you can use the powder form to mix into your food or beverages whenever you prefer.
- The CFU count remains intact since Bio-Kult products are proven and tested to withstand the high acidity level of stomach acid.
- These are freeze-dried bacteria so the shelf life is much longer.
- This aids in issues of gas, stomach pain, bloating, and flatulence, and works as fast as a few days from starting taking them.
- Please consult your doctor before using any nutritious food supplement if you are taking any drugs or have any medical issues.
- This is priced a bit higher compared to its counterparts.
ANTI-INFLAMMATORY: Promend Once Daily Probiotic
- You can take this once-daily probiotic, with a content of 4 billion CFU, and enjoy its benefits without scheduling another intake for the rest of the day.
- This has an acid-resistant formulation ensures delivery to the intestines
- This product also has 3 clinically-tested probiotic strains
- This product contains Lactospore Bacillus coagulans, which has been found in clinical studies to help alleviate irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) symptoms such as bloating, stomach pain, diarrhea, and promote regularity.
- Promend’s Bifidobacterium lactis BI-04 intestinal support has been shown in clinical testing to help minimize upper respiratory infection symptoms, while BioOptima Saccharomyces boulardii helps increase immunological factors.
- Each Promend capsule contains BioOptima Saccharomyces boulardii, which has been clinically studied to help prevent diarrhea in travelers, children, and antibiotic users.
- Bacillus coagulans has been demonstrated to lessen the occurrence of diarrhea caused by intestinal disease.
- BioOptima Saccharomyces boulardii is a probiotic strain that has been demonstrated in clinical studies to have an anti-inflammatory effect on the digestive system, as well as the ability to decrease inflammatory genes throughout the body.
- In case you have IBS and this product didn’t work for you, immediately consult your medical professional as you might have another underlying condition. As always, I recommend doing the consultation even BEFORE you take any probiotics.
BEST FOR WOMEN: Probiotics for Women Men & Kids
- This USDA Organic Liquid Probiotic will help your immune system and digestive health.
- Vegan Certified
- With a blend of 12 probiotic strains, this probiotic is designed to maintain a healthy microbiome and your digestive system, after all, a healthy microbiome is an important part of fostering gut lining health and a strong immune system.
- Comes in a conventional 4 oz bottle for everyday usage, or a travel-friendly 2 oz bottle for on-the-go use.
- Contains the following strains: Bifidobacterium breve, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium longum, Lactobacillus rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium infantis, Lactobacillus salivarius, Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Lactobacillus plantarum, Streptococcus thermophilus, and Lactococcus lactis.
- This product comes in the form of liquid drops. You can easily add it to water, and it wouldn’t give you any after taste.
- If you are pregnant or lactating, seek the approval of your medical professional before taking this or any similar product, because even though the product works wonders, we would like to avoid any allergic reactions or complications.
- Do not take if the product exhibits a mild or mildewy taste, this should not be the case. Contact the product dealer in case you experience something like this in quality.
MOST NUMBER OF STRAINS: Garden of Life Dr. Formulated Probiotics
- This once-a-day women’s Probiotic contains prebiotics and probiotics for women, as well as 16 different Lacto and Bifido strains for digestive health (including an acidophilus probiotic strain) all powerfully packed in a single capsule each day.
- It is doctor-formulated for women’s specific health needs, improving health with vaginal probiotics (L. fermentum and L. reuteri).
- This product includes organic prebiotic fiber to help feed beneficial bacteria in the gut, as well as probiotic strains scientifically selected for efficacy and resilience to stomach acid and bile.
- Guaranteed count of 50 Billion CFUs
- The capsule is shelf-stable, easy-to-swallow, and vegetarian
- You can also open the capsules to easily add the powder to your favorite food or drink.
- This is not recommended for those with GERD and taking related medications.
BEST FOR CELIAC PATIENTS: Pure Encapsulations Probiotic
- This product combination designed to support healthy cytokine generation and immune function by promoting gut associated lymphoid tissue composition and function, gastrointestinal cell health, and immunological response in the G.I. tract and intestinal barrier.
- This product is shelf stable and free of dairy and soy.
- These supplements are prepared with only premium ingredients purchased from respected suppliers under the supervision of experts, right before being carefully manufactured and tested to ensure its strength and purity.
- Does NOT contain wheat, eggs, tree nuts and peanuts, gluten, artificial colors, coatings, flavors, shellacs, sweeteners, GMOs, binders, preservatives, and fillers.
- The product is pure in formulation that it works well for people who have MTHFR mutation, celiac and other food allergies, which also include soy and corn.
- Make sure that you handle and store the products with care especially when it comes to maintaining the temperature they should be kept in. The packaging does little to protect the product.
High Tolerance: Answering Your Frequently Asked Questions
Is It Possible To Develop Lactose Intolerance Gradually?
The answer is yes. It’s possible to develop lactose intolerance gradually if you have an underlying condition that causes the problem.
The most common cause of lactose intolerance is an impairment of the small intestine’s ability to digest lactose, which is the sugar found in milk products. This can be caused by a number of conditions, including celiac disease or inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Other conditions that may cause lactose intolerance include Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis. Here is another post of mine that you might want to check, on can you reverse lactose intolerance?
Is Yakult a Probiotic?
Yes, Yakult is a probiotic.
Yakult is a milk-based drink that contains two strains of bacteria—Lactobacillus casei Shirota and Bifidobacterium lactis Bl-04. The bacteria in Yakult are the same ones found in yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut, miso soup and kimchi.
The bacteria in Yakult help keep your digestive system healthy by fighting off bad bacteria and making sure that your intestines are functioning well.
They do this by producing lactic acid, which helps you digest food better and makes it easier for nutrients to be absorbed into your bloodstream.
Got more questions? Learn more here about some facts and myths about probiotics.
One size definitely doesn’t fit all: I hope that I have provided you with the information you need to decide whether probiotics are right for your health.
For most individuals who wish to use probiotics for treating lactose intolerance, the best probiotic strain to use will often depend on the severity their symptoms.
But remember, there are many other strains that may work well too, so be sure to shop around a little and find one that works best for you—these strains may all be able to improve your digestion and alleviate your lactose intolerance.
The best thing to do is to consult a medical professional to see if they’ll work with your unique needs, or try some at home using our suggestions and only tolerate what works for you.
Curious about what happens if you ignore lactose intolerance? Just click on the link! Stay tuned for more articles on health and overall wellness. You, too, can be SuperHumn! Sign up for our 30-day BioHack Jumpstart Program today!