Polyphenol supplements are becoming widely popular due to their remarkable health benefits. Packed with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, they’re even said to fight against several diseases. Let’s find out what polyphenols are and how their supplements can promote good health.
Polyphenols are micronutrients found in plant-based foods that are associated with several amazing health benefits.
Polyphenols are generally obtained from vegetables, fruits, spices, herbs, dark chocolate, wine, and tea. Their potential health benefits include improving digestive issues, neurodegenerative diseases, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, and weight management.
Due to the antioxidant properties of polyphenols, they’ve been a topic of high interest amongst researchers and manufacturers in the past few decades.
In this article, we are going to get an understanding of polyphenols, their types, their health benefits, and ten of the best polyphenol supplements on the market.
What Are Polyphenols?
Polyphenols are compounds found in plants that are important for maintaining the body’s overall health and well-being. Many research studies suggest that polyphenols act as powerful antioxidants.
Antioxidants protect the cells from the damage caused by the harmful effects of free radicals. These free radicals otherwise increase the risk of diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer, and even speed up the process of aging.
Foods rich in polyphenols reduce the risk of chronic diseases and lower early death risks.
Different Types of Polyphenols
There are more than 8,000 types of polyphenols, which are further categorized into:
These are the most common and largest group of polyphenols, accounting for around 60% of all polyphenols. Quercetin, catechins, anthocyanins, and kaempferol are a few examples of flavonoids that are commonly found in foods such as dark chocolate, apples, red cabbage, kale, broccoli, tea, blueberries, red wine, and onions.
Flavonoids are divided into several subgroups such as flavonols, flavones, flavanols, isoflavones, etc. based on structural differences.
Most commonly found in vegetables, fruits, seeds, and whole grains, this group accounts for around 30% of total polyphenols. Stilbenes and lignans are examples of phenolic acids.
Stilbenes include resveratrol, which is observed to have an anti-carcinogenic effect but is present in very low quantities in the human diet.
Lignans, on the other hand, are obtained through linseeds as their major source, as well as grains, fruits, and certain veggies.
This group includes capsaicinoids and avenanthramides, which are found in chili peppers and oats, respectively.
Polyphenol supplements often come in different forms, such as capsules, powder, or tablets, much like mushroom supplements. You can pick one as per your ease of consumption and the convenience of making it a part of your diet routine.
Best Polyphenol Supplements: Our Top 10 Pick!
You can get the required amount of polyphenols via natural sources (fruits and vegetables), or there are many supplements with polyphenols available on the market as well.
Below we have listed ten of the best polyphenol supplements:
Codeage Polyphenols Supplement
- Ingredients: This product contains apples, turmeric, celery, bitter orange, olives, grapes, pomegranates, green tea leaf extracts, fruits, and different types of berries.
- Polyphenols Supplements: This product offers a blend of fruits, 16 different berry types, and botanical extracts, which makes it an all-in-one polyphenol dietary supplement.
- Flavonoid: With this supplement, you also get quercetin, which is an essential flavonoid found in seeds, fruits, and vegetables.
- Resveratrol: This broad-spectrum polyphenol supplement is also a source of resveratrol, which is a rare type of polyphenol also known for its anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Safety and Purity: This product is third-party tested and manufactured in a cGMP-certified facility in the USA. The supplement is free of GMO, gluten, soy, milk, wheat, eggs, preservatives, binders, color, and additives.
- Vegan tablets
- Contains 16 different polyphenols
- You can also consume it in green tea pill format
- Contains 120 tables with 592.50 mg of polyphenol per capsule
- You can take it in tablet form, or you can conveniently open the tablet and add it to your favorite food or drink
- Some found it hard to swallow
- It may cause some minimal side effects in some people
Bulletproof Polyphenomenal Antioxidant Capsules
- Ingredients: This product sources polyphenols from a blend of berries, pomegranates, fruit extracts, botanicals, green tea, and turmeric.
- Polyphenol Types: Contains 9 different types of polyphenols with a 1,770 mg supplement per serving.
- Safety and Purity: This is a non-GMO, sugar-free, gluten-free supplement that is lab-tested for purity and potency.
- Soy and dye-free
- Supports healthy aging
- Promotes cellular protection against free radicals
- Some found it costly
- Some found it hard to swallow
Resveratrol & Polyphenol Complex
- Ingredients: This supplement is a blend of resveratrol and a proprietary polyphenol complex. Each serving of the supplement offers a max strength of 1450 mg. It also contains vitamin C.
- Quality: This resveratrol supplement is produced using high-quality ingredients and cutting-edge processing and sourcing techniques.
- Safety and Purity: This supplement is 100% vegan and free of gluten and GMOs. It is manufactured to high standards in a cGMP-registered facility in the USA.
- Supports cardiovascular health
- Supports healthy brain function
- Supports healthy immune function
- Strong odor
- Some experienced digestive problem
- Ingredients: This is a highly concentrated polyphenol extract (90%) with oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) found in grape seeds.
- Function: The blend of polyphenols and OPCs makes for a potent compound that is effective in scavenging free radicals. Furthermore, grapeseed OPCs are also said to support bone, kidney, and brain health by supporting a healthy immune response to metabolic and oxidative stress.
- Safety and Purity: This supplement is manufactured in an NPA A-rated GMP-certified facility in the USA. The product is also free of gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, GMOs, and nuts.
- Scavenges free radicals
- Supports vascular health
- Supports healthy immune response
- Helps maintains normal cellular function
- Some experienced stomach issue
- Some people might experience mild side effects
Cytolyfe Polyphenol Plus
- Ingredients: This potent polyphenol supplement is a blend of EGCG (from green tea), berberine HCL, resveratrol, turmeric, Bioperine, and grape seed extract.
- Function: This potent blend of antioxidants protects and repairs cells from the damaging effects of free radicals. Also, this supplement protects the walls of mitochondria from oxidative damage during ATP production. Working in synergy with the metabolic pathway, the supplement also supports metabolism, weight loss, and heart health, and improves skin and energy levels.
- Safety and Purity: This product is manufactured in a GMP-certified facility in the USA and is free of any fillers or excipients.
- Anti-aging properties
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Helps boost mitochondrial growth and aerobic capacity
- Repair and protect cells from the damage of free radicals
- Comparatively costly
- High-dose may lead to kidney damage
Garden Greens Super Reds Energizing Polyphenol
- Ingredients: This energizing polyphenol drink mix is a blend of 48 antioxidant-rich superfoods, beets, and berries.
- Function: This nutrient-rich formula and phytonutrient blend maintains energy levels and promotes good health. It fights free radicals and promotes heart and circulatory health.
- Safety and Purity: This is a Non-GMO and gluten-free, 100% vegan supplement with ingredients sourced from US-based suppliers.
- 100% vegan
- Low-calorie drink
- Helps boost energy levels
- Promotes health and vitality
- Helps support heart and circulatory health
- Come in convenient to consume power mix form
- It may cause some side effects
- Less than 30 servings as promoted on the container
- Ingredients: This is a citrus bergamot product with 80% polyphenols. This polyphenol-rich formula contains 45% flavonoids, which are compressed into Bergamot Polyphenolic Fraction (BPF) tablets. Where other products contain about 38% BPF, this dietary supplement contains 45% BPF, which is an effective plant sterol supplement that supports healthy cholesterol.
- Quality: BergaMet’s bergamot is the most potent as it is exclusively grown in the Calabria region of southern Italy. This is said to be the world’s only bergamot with over 80% polyphenols. The sourced superfruit is 100% natural, grown with no pesticides, and fully organic.
- Function: The antioxidant compounds present in the supplement protect the cells from free radicals and oxidative stress, as well as support cardiovascular health. The exclusive Italian superfruits are used to promote healthy cholesterol levels and triglyceride levels.
- Clinical Trials: This formula is backed by several clinical trials that prove the supplement’s effectiveness in supporting heart health and healthy cholesterol.
- Safety and Purity: This citrus bergamot superfruit supplement is free of soy, corn, gluten, shellfish, eggs, fish, wheat, nuts, sweeteners, and artificial flavors. The product is tested and manufactured in a fully certified facility in the USA.
- Backed by clinical trials
- Helps support heart health
- Helps supports healthy cholesterol
- It may cause some side effects
- Some didn’t find a difference in cholesterol level
Zazzee Grape Seed Extract
- Ingredients: This product is a grape seed extract containing a minimum of 95% polyphenols.
- Strength: This supplement claims to provide the strongest polyphenol dosage available on the market. Each capsule contains 400 mg of 50:1 grape seed extract containing 95% polyphenols, giving it a 20,000 mg per capsule strength.
- Quality: The highly-concentrated grape seed extract used in this supplement by Zazzee Naturals is 50 times more potent than vitamin E and 20 times more potent than vitamin C. The extract contains the antioxidant compound oligomeric proanthocyanidins (OPCs) derived from grape seeds. The all-natural extraction process increases the bioavailability of the product.
- Safety and Purity: This supplement is manufactured in the USA under GMP certified facility. It is a vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free product.
- 50:1 extract
- Better circulation
- 20,000 mg strength
- Antioxidant support
- Cardiovascular support
- 50x stronger than standard
- Improves cholesterol levels
- 95% of total polyphenols capsules
- Might cause side effects for some users
- It may increase blood pressure in some cases
Immunia 67 Polyphenols Concentrated
- Ingredients: This is a concentrate of 67 polyphenols, including quercetins, resveratrol, anthocyanins, rutin, luteolin, catechins, proanthocyanidins, dihydromyricetin, etc. This supplement is extracted from five of the most antioxidant-rich fruits from Canada: elderberry (5,417 mg/5ml dose), haskap berry (4,958), Aronia (2,063), black currant (188 mg), and wild blueberry (4,658).
- Function: The concentration of 67 polyphenols in the supplement helps regulate the immune system and promote good health. Antioxidants coming from fruits protect cells from oxidative damage caused by free radicals.
- Safety and Purity: This concentrated formula is 100% natural and free of additives, such as sugar or artificial colors, or added sweeteners.
- Rich in antioxidants
- Delicious concentrated formula
- Helps reduce inflammation naturally
- Improves and maintains optimal health
- Protects cells from oxidative damage caused by free radicals
- Some may experience frequent urination
- Not recommended for kids below 12 years old
Pomi-T Polyphenol Food Supplement
- Ingredients: This food supplement is a blend of broccoli (florets and stalks), pomegranate, turmeric, and green tea leaf extract. It also contains vegetable gelatin tunic and maize starch.
- Quality: The ingredients are sourced from researched suppliers and are re-tested in qualified labs to ensure the highest quality and purity.
- Safety and Purity: It is a 100% natural product completely free of flavorings, colors, preservatives, bulking, or chelating agents.
- 100% Natural
- Rich in antioxidants
- Scavenges senescent cells
- Maintains healthy levels of PSA
- Made using high-quality ingredients
- Promotes healthy levels of inflammatory response
- Somewhat pricey
- Can’t be consumed by people allergic to the aforementioned ingredients
Health Benefits of Polyphenols
Promote Healthy Digestion
This study shows that polyphenol-rich tea can promote the growth of beneficial bifidobacteria. Therefore, polyphenols may promote healthy digestion by flourishing beneficial gut bacteria while fighting off harmful bacteria.
Lower Risk of Heart Disease
Due to the antioxidant properties of polyphenols, they can help reduce chronic inflammation, thus improving heart health. It is also noted that polyphenol supplements lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol levels (LDL) and raise good cholesterol levels (HDL) contributing to good heart health.
Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Polyphenols break down starch into simple sugars, lowering the risk of a spike in blood sugar levels after meals. They also help stimulate the secretion of insulin, keeping the sugar levels in check and reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
May Protect Against Cancer
Many experts believe in the role of a polyphenol-rich diet in the prevention of cancer, because of its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. A review of these test tube studies (1, 2) showed that polyphenols may block the development and growth of various cancer cells.
Promote Brain Function
Polyphenols may boost focus and memory, thus promoting brain function. One study found that grape juice (which is rich in polyphenols) helped significantly boost memory in adults. Another study, on the other hand, suggested that cocoa flavonols improved blood flow to the brain, improving memory and attention.
Foods High in Polyphenols
Most plant-based foods are often rich in polyphenols, like fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Apart from this, various spices, herbs, berries, and seeds are other major sources of polyphenols.
External factors that contribute to the amount and type of polyphenols present in certain foods are the origin of the food, its ripeness, and how it is farmed, stored, and transported.
The top three foods with the highest polyphenol concentration include cloves, dried peppermint, and star anise. Here are some other foods that contain the highest polyphenol content per 100 grams:
- Herbs and spices: Cloves (15,188 mg per 100g), peppermint (11,960 mg per 100g), star anise (5,460 mg per 100g), Mexican Oregano (2,319 mg per 100g)
- Berries: Chokeberries (1,756 mg per 100g), elderberries (1,359 mg per 100g), wild lowbush blueberries (836 mg per 100g), blackcurrants (758 mg per 100g) and blackberries, strawberries (235 mg per 100g).
- Cocoa powder (3.448 mg per 100g)
- Nuts: Chestnuts (1,215 mg per 100g), hazelnuts and pecans (495 mg per 100g), almonds (187 mg per 100g)
Click on this link to view the top 100 foods high in polyphenols
Frequently Asked Questions About Polyphenols
Supplements coming from naturally rich polyphenol ingredients with good sourcing practices are most likely to have a high amount of polyphenol content. There are concentrated polyphenol supplements also present on the market to choose from, like Zazzee Grape Seed Extract.
A polyphenol-rich diet has several benefits associated with it. Polyphenols are available in many common food items that we consume daily. However, if your intake of such food items is not up to the mark, then you can go for a good polyphenol supplement present on the market.
Note that it is often considered best to take advice from your healthcare professional before introducing a new supplement to your diet. Also, it is always recommended that those who are dealing with a serious ailment or are already on certain medications consult their physician.
Berries, cocoa powder, flaxseeds, nuts, vegetables, olives, coffee, tea, herbs, and spices are some of the best sources of polyphenols.
The ten food items mentioned below are some of the richest natural sources of polyphenols:
- Star anise
- Celery seed
- Cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate
- Black elderberry
- Black chokeberry
- Dried peppermint
- Mexican dried oregano
Research shows that polyphenols have many health benefits and can be very effective in the prevention and management of chronic diseases. Polyphenols may also help prevent blood clots, lower the risk of heart diseases, improve digestion, and reduce blood sugar levels. It is also suggested that polyphenols can promote brain function and offer protection against cancer, though more research-based proof is needed to establish this as fact.
How Many MG of Polyphenols Should You Have a Day?
Research suggests consumption of more than 650 mg of polyphenols per day for perceptible health benefits. There are benefits ranging from 500 mg to 1500 mg of polyphenol per day. However, the intake should be under a healthy limit because animal studies suggest some dangerous effects of high-dose of polyphenol supplements, such as kidney damage, thyroid imbalance, and tumors.
In humans, a substantially high intake of polyphenols can also lead to an increased risk of stroke or premature death.
Is Resveratrol a Polyphenol?
Yes, resveratrol is a stilbenoid polyphenol that is found in grapes, blueberries, peanuts, and cranberries. The potential health benefits of resveratrol are associated with its immunomodulatory, anti-inflammatory, antitumor, and antioxidant activities. This powerful antioxidant is also shown to suppress oxidative damage and stimulate apoptosis.
In a nutshell, polyphenols may provide several amazing health benefits, such as protecting against heart disease, improving blood sugar levels, digestion, and brain function. Polyphenols may also provide immune function boosting and anti-aging benefits. Thus, a diet rich in polyphenols is an all-natural way to achieve vitality and longevity.
If your daily intake of polyphenols is not up to the mark, then you may consider taking a dietary supplement. You can choose one out of the ten best polyphenol supplements aforementioned to improve your overall health.
Lastly, we would say that a healthy gut is the basis of a healthy body and lifestyle. Thus, a gut cleanse detox is something you should also look forward to for optimal health and well-being. If you would like to save yourself the effort, then you can check out our optimal health gut solution for better digestive health.